Sunday 10 July 2022

DRAUPADI - 80

  

Prafulla Kumar Mohanty's 

DRAUPADI - 80

Unresolved Binaries: Self Soul Dialogue

 

Am I the cause of war

Am  I the anti energy

which will destroy this dewy portal

of God's beautiful mind? No...

How can I be the cause when I am

caused by the divine energy as

the other humans, animals, vegetation

are the embellishments of the earth!

The cause is in the mind that

interacts with other minds

all autonomous, seeking their own

wishful world, exclusive and unique

when interests collide sparks flash

when the self tries to master all

when the self plays god to own up

usurp what nature gives with love

for man and animals to enjoy

their temporary sojourn on her

vast regenerative fields,

conflicts arise, forests burn

in self indulgent fire, man kills

brother neighbour in the self's

endless greed to steal more

pleasure from his limited life

to have more from less and less.

He loses his balance, equipoise

which nature has endowed

in graceful equanimity - Am I

one such greedy creature desiring

more power, wealth, and authority?

How can I transcend the conditions  -

Hunger sickness war - by

my own desires to be supreme?

Is war nature's way of engaging

her creatures in perpetual pain?

 

Sudeshna entered, saw Draupadi

in her state of restive agony

What are you doing here all alone?

Nothing, I am feeling the future now.

Sudeshna laughed, Is wise Draupadi

so artless to supersede the present  -

come, the future is for the menfolk

we suffer or enjoy their actions

why should we bother, let the future

be future, why make it our present

to shed premonitory tears in vain?

 

Draupadi looked at Sudeshna

pity in her eyes, Are we so weak

Sudeshna just to live like creepers

for the men to toe us away for their

future path, can they decide our destiny

ignoring us to our helpless silence?

Sudeshna in calm demeanour said,

wars are for men, not for us, our

duty is to send them to the field

with words of love bravery and put on the

tika on their proud forehead to save

our own sindoor, hoping for his victory,

if he doesn't  come back, you lose

all legitimacy and lose your present

future and all your sweet memories.

 

I cannot think like you Matsya Queen

I knew I was deeply hurt, my womanhood

my being's soulful essence was abused.

None saved me from the worst violation

of a woman's dignity, my husbands

hung their heads and stayed tonguetied

but this war is not to avenge my

soiled womanhood, not for their love

for Draupadi whom they shared equally;

they will fight for land, kingdom, power

this fratricidal war is for right, justice

not for love or to avenge my indignity,

I am equally guilty of my complicity

greed for royal pleasures and power play.

 

Sudeshna wondered at Draupadi's eyes

how bright and beautiful the pearly spheres

sparkling her graceful womanhood

without wasting mundane vocabulary!

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New