Sunday 2 June 2019

She, Me, and Shakespeare


I stood awestruck
my mirror regressed
like a cinematic trick
I saw myself in my
postgraduate classroom
all alone, humming an
old tune, perhaps waiting for
my friends and teacher.

I in disbelief said what's this?
My image smiled, said-
come sit by my side
the lecture is on Shakespeare!
I said- Shakespeare can wait,
but my son can't! Who comes
for only two days.
I know I am your stretched self
Can Shakespeare make me again
What I was?

Come enter me-
I'll run from kitchen to Rome
to feel Antony's love:
the mirror returned me
to my present, my spirit
sprinting everywhere with her
She was Me and I She
time whispered -patience.

I sang out-
'all our yesterdays have  lighted fools...'
we have conquered death
with the wisdom of love.

Sabita Sahu.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New