Sunday 2 June 2019

I Voted!


Prafulla Kumar Mohanty

I am a voter, that is, I have a choice to exercise my right to select a candidate who will represent me and participate in the law making process in the Parliament of India. Vote is my alter ego, a subtle superconscious persona which I give a person to empower him to think and act  on my behalf and to do things for my betterment. The choice of my conscience will pass through a button  in the Electronic Voting machine. The candidate will have one more number added to his total tally. He may not know who voted for him and ostensibly wax eloquent on things he knows are far removed from the issues people voted for. This disconnect between the voter and the legislator is inevitable in all elected forms of governments. The Americans who voted for Donald Trump never could imagine that a  man who would shut down a Government for weeks together to build a Great Wall of  America to stop the Mexicans from migrating to America for a living.The Indian Parliament,obviously a hallowed place for debate, discussion, has often been paralysed by stubborn political rancour during the past several years making 'law making' an occasional episode in the general drama of furore. Well, Well, Well I am diagressing : let me come back to my Voter self. This year I decided to vote, that is, exercise my franchise in a polling booth which mercifully was at a strolling distance from my  place.
The D day came, I got ready in a summer defence dress and waited for the driver whose punctuality is unfailing like the EVM. He came and took the keys from the shelf. But I  suddenly asked him to wait: Who shall I vote for? In the 20th century we had a very popular man, Hitler, in Germany who changed the course of world history . At the same time we had another man, revered , worshipped like God, Gandhi in India. When Hitler roared mountains cracked, when Gandhi raised his frail hand  millions cheered and faced bullets with head held high. But Hitler ended his life in a bunker putting a gun in  his mouth: Gandhi was killed by three bullets in a prayer meeting. Both deaths were violent. And both have left  their imprints on the world. Hitler is now famous among people who never saw him. Gandhi , in  India , has now been a reference in speeches or a metaphor. Had he contested in  India in 1953( mercifully he was killed in 1948) he would have struggled to save his deposit.  but Hitler could have won in Germany, India and almost everywhere. But why should I talk or think about Hitler or Gandhi? We have our own macho nationalists, liberators of the poor, dole givers, saints, murderers, terror accuseds, ED saints on bail, stars from tinsel towns, Crorepatis hankening for more, entitled inheritors of royalty, Chaiwalas Chowkidars and god's plenty! O'  I perhaps  have a nasty mind to dismiss cynically all those parties and candidates without whom democracy would falter on the perilous course of history. I asked the driver to take out the car. Then I thought, why the car? I can walk the few steps, the booth is at a visible spot meters away. Well the distance may be short but the May sun is cruel. My summer- defence may be penetrated , in place of blood sweat will sodden my style ! I was driven to the booth  in about four minutes.
But what did I see there? A long queue! Have a heart! I have no patience to stand in a queue and move like a legless cockroach in a laboratory. I had no choice. I mustered courage to feel important. My vote matters. If I don't vote democracy will be in peril! No no , that is too much. I am duty bound to cast my vote as a conscious citizen . By the time I settled to my  dutiful citizen consciousness luckily the line moved from sunlight to a shaded corridor and the polling officers were a few hands away. My turn came . My voter ID was checked. Two slips  were given to me. The presiding officer indicated a booth and I entered with confidence.

Inside a very dim light, some battery fuelled contraption looking like a lantern burned with a still flame. But the light was too poor for my weak eyes to comfort me to press the button of my choice. I raised the lantern; no improvement. I raised the EVM to read the names. Outside the muffled voice of the Presiding officer was heard- Why such a long time! I felt embarrassed and pressed the first button, The VVPAT appeared for a second or two and dropped into oblivion. I can't vouch for it. But I came out, all smiles. Yes, I have done it. I have voted. Whoever has got my vote will certainly find the shortest cut to his/ her salvation.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New