Sunday 15 May 2022

DRAUPADI -72

  

Prafulla Kumar Mohanty's 

DRAUPADI - 72


Draupadi's days were a load on her eyelids

each night of futile hope ended in despair

the forced smiles simulated loyalty

to earn shelter and safety.

Her comfort lay in her daily contact

with her husbands but her lips were sealed,

eyes forbidden to light up in recognition.

King Virat was kind,

Sudeshna, Uttara  were loving,

the other maids were civil

yet Draupadi's feet were never firm.

Her mind was whirling by inner storms

of uncertain fear and betrayal: Only

a stolen word with Arjuna and a pat by Bhima

reassured her playacting self to move on.

Often she sat with Sudeshna to watch Uttara's

dance practice sessions having stealthy eyefuls

of Brihannala whose pakhauj beats went

faster making Uttara miss steps

much to the pleasant taunts of unmanly Arjuna

and he demonstrated the steps waving his

long plaits causing a glint of mischievous

joy in Draupadi's eyes unnoticed by others.

Except such moments of sorrowing pleasure,

she was mindful of avoiding attention.

 

One day during the Navratri at Sunrise

Draupadi was in the palace garden plucking

flowers sunkissed and pearl washed for puja.

Her dainty feet wet on the slippery grass

the light on her morning face crimsoned

the oleanders, her long tapering fingers

soft plucking malati, champak,  jui

made the garden hum like ecstatic bees.

At that moment Kichaka appeared

on the balcony of his mansion,

his eyes got stuck on Draupadi's radiance,

impassioned, he almost ran to the garden

much to the shock of Draupadi  who ran  away

when chased by the hungry eyes of Kichaka

but slipped and fell.

Before Kichaka reached her she sprang up

and smartly ran  into the Queen's chambers,

breathing heavy in profane fear.

Sudeshna heard in mute helplessness

and imagined the rest as she knew her brother

and anticipated a moral crisis.

However she comforted Sairindri and went her way.

 

Kichaka entered his sister's place

where is she he demanded; Sudeshna

pretending innocence asked, who? For whom

my great brother has come to me so early

the sun is yet to touch your shining gear,

who has disturbed your day before it began?

Don't try to divert my mind sister, she

that nymph who has just waved into

your chambers, when my eyes fell on her

I lost my day, she ran away from

my bewitched eyes and pounding heart

a golden deer chased by Madan's shafts -

O brother your wine fumed eyes

are not awake yet,

you are still in your moony lassitude - Stop Sis,

I saw her enter your chambers,

I am mad sister, I must have her,

I was never love stung by a  woman,

save me sis, save me from death:

send her to my place at nightfall, if not

you know what I can do to Matsya  -   Brother!

Don't be rash, she is not ordinary, she is

regal, her modesty should not be mistaken

as weakness, she is a graceful person -

Leave her, I will send you others

more voluptuous and artful

for your sensual Night -  

No sister send her to me she alone

can regale my life tonight - Don't forget

my disappointment is a mad fire, if I -

Sudeshna held Kichaka's hand, look

my brother, never berate a woman's virtues

it will burn you on the pyre of pride:

Kichaka pushed her - don't madden me,

what virtue, no virtue can save her,

Is she not a woman ! A Woman's virtue

gets redeemed in giving pleasure,

nothing more nothing less- I'll wait for her -

kichaka rushed out leaving Sudeshna dazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New