Sunday 2 May 2021

DRAUPADI -XVIII

Prafulla Kumar Mohanty's 

DRAUPADI - XVIII


Father! don't be impatient

listen to me, I beseech you,

why do you want to throw me out,

Yes, throw me out of your heart,

Am I such a burden, such a load

unbearable, cumbersome and vile?

 

No my child, never speak that language

you are the fire of my old bones,

I want your bright future, wish

a dream life, for you and yours,

I want the best hero, the best archer

who can protect you and also my pride -

 

What pride Father? You have - only

one resolve, one- ambition, one mission

to see Drona at your feet, living or dead,

Am I your bait for your Revenge

to catch the greatest archer of Aryabarta,

a normal father wouldn't like to part

with his daughter- no daughter am I

a gift of the -gods from the cauldron:

 

O' stop my child don't stab me like this,

Yes I want my vengeance, Drona

has bled my feelings, my Royal pride,

I must avenge and what's wrong

If I want the best in this Swayambara

to win my daughter and my heart?

 

Father, I respect your feelings but

how long have I come to this world

I never ran in this palace falling

and rising, never sat in your lap

never knew who was what, even now 

I haven't breathed the air of love

of you or mother's, I haven't seen

the extent of your kingdom, haven't met -

 

My Draupadi, dear Draupadi go around

my kingdom, move without fear, enjoy

my name and plenitude - but you know

You are a Princess, Drupad's daughter

Royalty often is its own enemy

move with care -  I'll give you my guards.

 

I'll do that  Father but on one condition:

Postpone my marriage, let me grow in

worldly  ways - No now it's too late.

Invitations have been sent, messengers

are in every kingdom, now - no my child:

Drupad walked away in a huff.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New