Sunday 18 April 2021

DRAUPADI--XVI


 

Prafulla Kumar Mohanty's 

DRAUPADI - XVI


Krishna returned the next morning

to a grand send off with gifts galore

swallowing her half formed words in silence,

Krishna the all knowing placed his hands

on Draupadi's shoulder seriously smiling

Hey Sakhi, don't make my parting grim

smile your farewell and wish me success

my mission ahead is a tight rope walk

I need my Sakhi's love to wade through

the fateful slushy territory with valour:

Draupadi relaxed a smile and whispered

no thorn will sear your skin nor failure

will deter you from your destined vision

Dear Sakha just remember, there is your

alluring Sakhi strewing jasmine buds all the way

and worshipping your name in all her orisons.

 

The parting was joyous and clamorous

Krishna's entourage left pleased and happy

she stood at her gates till the distant dust

settled in her heart to a blank silence.

 

Back in her lonely chamber she brooded,

Swayambara! Why and what for? Is marriage

such an urgent need?   For whom the ceremony,

If Swayambara is for me, I must choose

my life's co-journeyer, a man of honour,

valour, witty decoder of life's puzzles,

not simply a heroic archer, not a revenger

to satisfy my father's obsessive pride!

If I am to choose why should there be a test?

That too an Archery test of military skill,

Why not I test the Princes and assess

their nobility, grace, honour and love,

It's Love I need in life to overcome.

All worldly vicissitudes and complexities:

Am I not helpless being the king's daughter,

I am Princess for all, beautiful and wise

but am I a woman to chose my life

to live displaying my dream vision?

Her undulating heart chocked in uncertainty

she closed her eyes and moved inwards.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New