Sunday 21 March 2021

IN SEARCH OF HONEY

 

Last evening at sundown

I was in the market searching for honey

one shopkeeper said honey- no

we have syrups -

no- no - no  I  want honey -

sorry.

 

I asked  another shopkeeper,

do you have honey

yes mam, he placed a bottle of

Dabur honey on the counter.

I said no, I need honey

which drips in the air

sweetens life, elevates the moon

to run after butterflies like school kids

I want a lonely flower enjoying

the company of her lover bee

resonating the air with the hum of hymns.

 

The shopkeeper looked at me

holding two other bottles

we have Baidyanath and also Ramdev.

Thank you, but I don't need

this honey which cures cough

I want honey to purge my soul

of the billion indignities

which you hurl at us

my contaminated soul searches

for the honeydew,

do you have - anyone?


Sabita Sahu

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New