Sunday 7 February 2021

DRAUPADI - VI

 

Prafulla Kumar Mohanty's

DRAUPADI - VI


DRAUPADI IN THE GARDEN

 

The fragrant twilight

with inviting reverence

greeted the Princess caressingly

Draupadi sauntered in her majesty

exuding a fresh flush on her cheeks

she widened her arms jestfully

to embrace all flowers earthly, eerie

in the dumb light of sunset.

 

A group of shouting urchins

half naked, emaciated boys - girls

distracted her, she looked beyond

the gates of the garden in shock

are these children real, are they human

where have they gone

 where do they go!

 

She called the gardener and asked

who are these children

where do they live,

Do they live in such misery?

The gardener meekly answered

Princess these kids live in the

nearby village, return home

after the day's toil.

 

These kids toil!

What do they do?

They work in the fields

to bring home some money

The gardener said hesitatingly

to keep the fire burning

in their humble hearths.

 

Draupadi lost interest in the flowers

The cool breeze and the flowing scent

smarted her like poisoned darts

she asked, how far is the village?

Anuradhapura is two kos from here:

 

Tomorrow I'll go there at dawn

I'll walk - no chariot, no horse

just ask someone to show me the way

I'll go alone.

 

A heavy head bowed her down

the pathway to her chamber

coiled serpent like slowed her steps:

I have no childhood, I never

sucked my mother's breast

I do not know what it means

to grow in poverty - yet these

urchins had energy to shout

at day's end no hunger stemmed

their passion to return home!

What home, what life, what?

I must see it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New