Sunday 10 January 2021

DRAUPADI - II

Prafulla Kumar Mohanty's 


DRAUPADI - II


While walking garlanded

with sloganeering crowd

clanging cymbals riotous drums

men women in fineries

towards the Kampilya palace

Draupadi couldn't decide

whether to be happy or gloomy

a crooked confusion made her

steps uncertain, eyes unfocused:

 

If I am fire

Why in human form?

Have I come here

to live with men and women

in strife and conflict,

I have all human emotions

as a maiden ought to have.

I have beauty, poise and passion

pride, shame and dignity

in ample measures to win hearts

charm the best and challenge the rest.

Why then I walk a captive

in this royal procession!

 

I mix with the witty and the gentle

the bands of the meek and the cruel

I have brothers, friends and relations

straight from the womb of fire,

I am in a palace craddleless,

All splendour and luminescence

as the fiery maiden of excellence.

 

Am I an instrument of change

or an agent, I do not know what

my Master, my Boss, my Maker

desired me or am I a freak

shaped by the chants of

learned men without purpose.

 

Now I am here in Kampilya

daughter of Drupad Princess  Panchali

I have many names Draupadi

Yagyaseni born of fire to inflame life

to brighten this beautiful world

or consign to ashes the devils

who in human shape  prey and flout

all goodness, order, harmony and love?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New