Sunday 3 January 2021

DRAUPADI - I

 

           A Word From The Heart

 

A woman has mainly two faces: Lover and Wife. Later she becomes a Mother, Sister etc. In the history of mankind, in my view, there was no greater woman than Draupadi, mythical though, who combines these two roles with greater symbiosis. Cleopatra, a historical figure, could be admired as the greatest Lover but she was not much of a wife (to Caesar and Antony). Draupadi has lived with five husbands of diverse temper at the same time. There are 'Many - men' women but none like Draupadi, therefore, she had a great fascination for me.

 

I do not subscribe to ideas and statements like: "Creation of woman is the greatest blunder of Nature"- (Bernard Shaw) Nor do I believe that misogyny and feminism have any real human meaning beyond power struggle in gender politics, Draupadi is vast, various, vivacious, victim and victimizer all in one and more: I have tried to trace the idea and the woman in my effort to write an Epic as a 21st-century man. I am deeply read into the epics in Sanskrit and Odia but I have not based my Draupadi on any model.

 

If my readers patiently follow the state, stature and status of my 

Draupadi in the serialization I would be gratified.


Prafulla Kumar Mohanty

 

 DRAUPADI   -1

Entry Into The World

 

The tongues of fire in fury

licked the mantra charmed space

the priests in fright raised

the tempo of vedic verse

the flame took form and shape

A maiden full grown

like a package of beauty

opened her eyes in sunbright

languor winked to wonder.

 

Who am I?  Why am I?

In this strange world

beauteous and wild?

Am I born here or

I am a fire maiden

sent here  commissioned

for a purpose divine.

 

But who should I call mother ?

Who has fathered me?

I  came out of the yajna fire

to the chant of verses

half heard, half understood.

 

Who are these greeting me

blowing conches in joywild rhythms

who is this king Drupad

he is not my biological parent,

and he mainly wanted a son

never wanted a female child.

 

Am I a trespasser then

unwanted visitor to these

motley elements on earth?

 

The king wanted an Avenger,

to  kill his Ashram mate turned foe

for egoistic irrelevance.

 

Then who Am I?

What am I here for

fully grown beautiful

full of vigour and fanciful

ambitions more than

an ordinary woman can hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New