Sunday 4 October 2020

I Am Not A Caged Bird




Today my patience breached the banks
the foamy waves of suppression leaps out:
Why a slave for your mom and pop- a cook
and pleasure doll for your kinky fancies,
why dowry demand when I am  worth a fortune
you should know and ye all here and there
I am  no thirteenth rib, I am myself, a being
capable of carving out my destiny.

Mom mocks me from kitchen to the labour room
why a silly girl child, it's male we wanted
you brought a liability not worthy of our name
she cannot save us from perdition
you now agree our son will marry again.
Is a girl a curse, I shouted, who brought you
and all human kind? The Apollinaire male?

Why should I wait for your midnight revels
your drunken orgies, I have a body, a mind
I am of fancies poetic, music exotic
and friendship of equal majesty, dignity
I am not a dumb damsel a puppet parakeet:
I am what I am, not born to mother you
or be ready for anytime rapes 
burning in cold fury.

I view the world with wondrous eyes
my vigour and will cannot be enslaved
as though I am a bondslave bound by fate.
family is not a business, it's a world,
parallel to what God devised, we are
commissioned to make our world great
by mutual love, not to bargain for profit
for your corrupt treasures.

I am a free soul bind me with love
respect my identity I will give you bliss
enclose in my heart you and yours: But
spare me this caged bird torture.
If you can't I will fly away
on my soaring wings which have God's urge
to fulfil myself and give my account to him.



 Sabita Sahu.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New