Sunday 26 April 2020

Unsung Melodies


I never saw the rise and swell

of Baitarani waters from my window

the boatman's song eluded my ears

father's concern for my  mother

never reached beyond the sheets.


My high jumping  feet cute and shapely

kicked the medals  to ignoring friends

I sobbed in dark rooms for lonely relief,

the gathering clouds went without tears.


From frock to saree I grew unripe

my diary poems were dreams torn

when results graduated me to love

for the man who never looked at me.


Silent he was to my unsaid words

while the sandy beach counted waves

He went away leaving his silence

for me to fill with painful rhythms.


Wifehood came followed by whines

motherhood filled me with pride divine

book racks grew dusty and mouldy

I croaked in the kitchen the old melodies.


Now I have cleaned up the stables

my Pegasus is opening its wings

I'll move in space time-defying

and sing of life in forbidden rhyme.


Sabita Sahu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New