Sunday 25 November 2018

Prayer

 

I do not cross river beds
under the burning sun in agony
nor I walk barefoot  in rituals
over mountain stretches fasting
as others do on all occasions:
but I am no atheist or agnostic.
I come when self doubt cripples me
I climb your steps to find myself.

I go to your majestic abode
not to confess  my sins or wrongs
not in fear or in supplication
I do not  know what to ask for
but I come with love to play
with the others who chant  repeating
what the priest mutters by habit.

I have no desire to see you
I know you are not in the image
punish me if I transgress
your rituals laws and grace:
I come to see my lost soul
In your ever smiling face.

When others close their eyes and pray
my eyes search for the hands
that carved you to bless
the men and women who seek solace.
Every breath I inhale, I  take in
your breath incense like to sweeten
my mind, body and life
to  purify my being to receive
your essence in all my limbs.

But are  you there in this stone
this marble floor, song and flower
in this temple built by a king
or a greedy corporate for fame;
tell me are you there in this structure
on this bejewelled throne:
if you are, let me know my destiny
my identity and role here
in this crowd of stony hearts.

Sabita Sahu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New