Sunday 4 September 2022

DRAUPADI - 88

  

Prafulla Kumar Mohanty's 

DRAUPADI - 88

A Pilgrimage

Years passed, Time's waves rolled

the sky was the same unreachable void

the playfield of the luminaries whose

ebb and tide rotated life's missions

the earth was the same despite man's

excavations and rash hooves kicking her

like babes in an expectant mother's

proud belly, the earth bore delicious pain

to bring forth god's variety who came

as visitors for a life pilgrimage of earth,

seasons change her colours, smell and

contours of reality but her unfazed soul

receives all with unequivocal love.

The trees like men grow grey and fall

but they renew every spring for nature's

grand renovation in changing styles.

I have changed, my husbands have changed

my shapely body vibrates my eyes

are no more burning spheres, illumining

my sights and visions, a dark ring encloses

my eyes, a dark ring blocks my peripheral

vision, I am losing the sting of beauty

in my eye sphere, the bokul flowers look

different, the Jasmine scent has fainted

but my spirit is fresh like my mind

my will is not bent like abandoned bows

I am beautiful and majestic in my silver crown

my arms and legs my hips and breasts

are still defiant of unseasonal serenades.

 

King Yudhistiar and my other husbands

have greyed and not of their former strength

Yudhistira has decided to anoint grandson

Parikhit, Abhimanyu's son born of Uttara

and go on a pilgrimage: I was delighted.

 

I saw the world, my great Bharatvarsa

her spread of greenery mohul scented

jungles where  the wild move like Princes.

Ashrams of Om Chanting sages performing

fire sacrifices raising purging fire

to skiey homes of immortals to bless

earthly creatures who know not life's

mortal dance  in ethereal measures.

I saw her mountains in deep meditation

rivers nourishing life with bountiful waters,

Temples of intricate workmanship, icons

of Bharat's Trinity in bronze and stone

gold plaited and earthen, wooden forms.

 

I bowed  to them seeking confidence to live

the rest of my life with head held high.

I saw people, men, women, children, young

old working, playing, gossiping, feasting

beautiful people of my beautiful Bharat

learning, seeking, praying and creating

lovely things for the eye and ear also

for the body and mind at Prayag, Kashi

Mathura, Vrindavan, Kanchi, Kamakhya:

In every speck of  dust I saw footprints

of Saints, in every breath of air

I heard man's love for life's variety.

I was happy I saw what was denied me

as Princess, Queen, Forest dweller and Draupadi

a woman of soulful sprightliness

who wished to embrace the world as life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New