Sunday 1 October 2017

Who Is At The Wrong End!






My train was late, I had to wait,
choiceless boredom made me  unmindful
of passengers moving with luggage,
family and hurried noise, the vendors
chaiwallas shouting and selling yards
of tea to gullible passengers, pocketing
money with practised hands.

A limping beggar  thudded from left
diverting my attention to sympathy:
asked me for a rupee, a man
may be in his thirties, broad  chested
hefty with sharp eyes stood in a half pant
just touching knees; I was curious
my sympathy changed to a slow anger
the mismatch  of the body and outstretched
hands made me shoot questions: Why
who, where and how?- Will you secure
your future by begging on railway platforms?


I sank within thinking he would be angry 
and may be rude and unmannerly but
to my surprise he met my eyes and
said in an even voice, polite and firm
he owns a three storyed building , his
fixed deposit- Why do you beg then?
This is the safest and most secured job,
exploiting the kindness, sympathy and
goodness of people who are my ATM-
All time money you know.
Then he left, there was no limp
I was awestruck and thought,
Who is at the wrong end??

He or me and picked up my bag 
as the horn of the train alerted me.


Sabita sahu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New