Sunday 13 November 2022

The Postman Cometh…

Daily I wait

dusting father’s old typewriter

unusual uncared for

my growing children.

I wait for his letter

long promised before

an age of poetry.

 

I remember he wrote

three times a day

the landline rang every hour.

He spoke in rhythmless

I love you dearest

you are my nearest

in this fretful world

of broken pyramids

and invaded temples.

 

He was like that

never spoke straight

always in couplets, riddles

looking at my eyes

to measure the sea

his mind always ran

in haunted gardens

to pluck a flower for

my luxuriant hair.

 

I know smile at myself

how many times I have

run to the dictionary

to understand his letters

how many times I have

 asked him to explain

the meaning of what he said

even now my lips glimmer

to light his life

with  a flowing kiss.

I craned my neck

 to the stretch of road

visible through my

kitchen window while

making the lunch box ready

it was empty yesterday

it is empty today

the post man’s cycle bell

is silent for long days:

Will he not write

the last love letter

or has he forgotten to post

or has he forgotten the art

of love in the words of

heavenly serenades.

 

Is he dead or alive

if alive how is it

the letter is undelivered

like the unseasonal fruit

of far off island

beyond the mortal world

where the love letter is

buried and gone.


Sabita Sahu

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New