Sunday 9 October 2022

Gandhi

 

I never saw you,

you were always a photo

an image forced on memory

by your great life.

Attenborough opened my eyes

after watching your works

well coursed by Ben Kingsley.

I wondered: Is it true a man could be so great

without clothes, food and power!

I bowed to your photo

which still hangs on my wall.

 

You are the father of the Nation

you made Indian free

to abuse man , country, nation

to dispute your Fatherhood

you fell to bullets of hate

your love was in flames:

people wrote obituaries

I read in the 1990's

double edged hypocrisy

in polished language.

 

But I adore you

not as my ideal

for if I follow your values

life will take away

the little joys we dote on:

I adore you for your courage

how could you rise against

the enemies of human essence!

See today the enemies are here

in our free country

nailing your picture

in inhuman haste.


Sabita Sahu

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New