Sunday 21 August 2022

DRAUPADI - 86

  

Prafulla Kumar Mohanty's 

DRAUPADI - 86

Yudhostir’s Coronation and Lamentations

 

Before the wailing of the earth ceased

before the stars reappeared in the sky

before the hazy sun attained full glory

before the migratory birds returned home

before the breeze regained its aroma

before  Bhisma the greatest and best Kuru,

the renouncer of mundane life

the celibate sage was laid to rest

before I Draupadi, the empress the Pandava wife

wiped my eyes of lost motherhood

my husband Dharmaraj Yudhistira lost no time

to be coronated, the Vyasa logic worked magically -

The Royal Throne should not be left vacant -

my Yudhistira promptly ascended

the throne to Vyasa's Vedic chants -

I too sat by his side in full regalia.

 

But my soul ached, my eyes were indrawn

the dazzling Hall made me feel small,

Krishna's reassuring smiles did not lift

my drooping spirits, I felt guilty for the death

of millions, suffering of the maimed and

impoverishment of my golden Bharatbarsha.

Later in my bed chamber I sat

on the thorns of a dilemma whether

my victory, the Pandava victory is not

tainted by lies deceit and hypocrisy:

or we have been rewarded for merit

uncontaminated by wilful sinning?

Should I be happy my truth has won

my humiliation, indignity duly avenged

by my righteous womanhood, my faith

in Justice above law and morality

which kept my resolve in the forest

unwavering despite Yudhistira's

stubborn refusal to see the woman

free honest truthful and brave

in his wife Draupadi, his queen

who was called a slut, who was

almost denuded before the world?

But is my womanhood restored

its honour at the death of all offenders

and their ilk who came to Kurukshetra

only to destroy us by superior strength?

 

Why not, Draupadi shouted

her voice trembling, body shivering,

why not be pleased that my tormentors

are now dead, killed by my own,

husbands brothers and above all my

soul's greatest joy, my saviour

my Being's navigator, my Sakha Krishna?

What else is restoration if not

punishing the guilty with death?

My shame now is my pride,

my lost queenship has now been

restored, the world sings of my praise,

those who sent me to forest

those who kicked my pride are now

covered under earth by shame

dishonour, defeat and reversal.

I am no slut, I am Queen,

Empress of the universe, the pride

of womanhood, exceptional

whose rightful energies have fructified

in compensating the grievous loss -

 

Draupadi started pacing the room

her breath steadied she again sat down.

 If I am myself let there be no conceit

no insolence should stain

my free womanly self.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New