Sunday 3 October 2021

A Cold Romance


 

My love is always cool

come spring come rain

he would say see how the

moon woos the stars,

see how the wind brings goosebump

this is the time for poetry

come let's play the ghazals of

Ghulam Ali and listen,

the autumnal  moon tide

in my heart starts rising.


I go dolled up near him

he looks at me - o' my god

see what Shelley has written,

If winter comes can spring be far behind,

poetry you know my love is great.

All my desire foams recede.

 

Poetry gives you a calm joy

a real fulfillment of life

but my unromantic love does not

understand the poetry moonlight business

it's just a passtime for him to

turn the pages of Shelley and Ghalib.

I rush to the washroom

to put on my night robe,

he says you will ruin Bhisma's celibacy,

how does it matter, it's too late

switch off the light,

I have to get up early for jogging.


Sabita Sahui


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New