Sunday 26 September 2021

DRAUPADI - XXXIX

 

 Prafulla Kumar Mohanty's 

DRAUPADI - XXXIX

Subhadra's Welcome

 

The afternoon shadow

lingered at the fading light

the garden freshly watered

glistened in departing beauty

the rows of trees stood as if

reluctant soldiers performing

dutifully for the event to pass.

The band played welcome

half heard by the gathering crowd

of royals, citizens rural folk.

Duty officers servitors and maids

in pure excitement of anticipated

clamour and festivities.

Painted women with full pitchers

of exotic art balanced their heads

lest the early spring breeze

spill distracted water on carpets

Persian, French, Gandhar art.

The distant noise of horses

men and rising dust far off

raised the heart beats of all.

The gates of Indraprastha

throbbed to the lighting of lamps

familiar faces looked exclusive

the dying sun poured gold.

Confused sounds of words and emotions

flew from every lip widening eyes

scanned the horizon for sights

a buzz rose like incense to the skies.

 

Yudhistir my first husband

stood sober and staid in front

his sedate presence inspired

confidence, his demeanour exuded

pacific calm and innocent peace

I stood a step behind on his side

holding the  aarati plate feigning

a smile inscrutable even to me.

 

If the roaring storm inside

shook my being I didn't make

a public exhibition for it was mine,

mine alone issuing forth from my

personal hurt - not jealousy but

betrayal of my love exclusive

for Arjun which I never thought

would be shared with another.

The pain of my divided self

I have suppressed by simulated

dignity of my place and position:

but how could I share my love

O' Krishna, O' Sakha you did this

to your Sakhi, never valued my

being's fulcrum - No stop Draupadi

don't raise the wanton to bespoil

your Queenly pride and bearing.

Face this fateful moment

with grace which is naturally yours

perform your functions without

a trace of unwholesome conflict.

 

My smile returned as I saw

the chariots and a roar grew

in songful exuberance to greet

my third husband and his bride:

Yudhistir asked me to move ahead

I walked in majesty a few steps

waited for the couple to alight

and come near the welcome arch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New