Sunday 9 May 2021

DRAUPADI - XIX

 

 Prafulla Kumar Mohanty's 

DRAUPADI - XIX


I am watched in sleep

guards follow me to the garden

I can't speak my mind, I am a doll

an exhibit on the royal shelf :

 See Draupadi! Our gift of fire

she came a full formed beautiful

package of divine elegance,

a Princess to brighten our Kingdom's future.

 

My brother too is fire born yet

none speaks of him as some exotic

A spirit in human form or gift of fire.

The brother too exercises his authority

for he is male, he is the Future.

Drupad's memory perpetuator

Inheritor of the King's name and Pride

Draupadi felt dizzy and sank into a chair.

 

A woman I am hence no freedom

A woman I am hence mindless

A woman I am to follow commands

why don't they acknowledge my being?

My separateness, my free spirit?

I have my own mind and I think but fail,

how can I chose my life mate

from among the Princes or the Prince

who pierces the eye of the fish

tied to a moving wheel

in Sandipani's Radhachakra?

When my choice does not matter

my misgivings should be lost in my smile

  I must garland him who wins the test

even if he is cruel, ugly and vain

a man of many women and lustful!


Is marriage a joke for Father

he mirthfully sets the trap to catch

his avenger with me as the bait?

Draupadi stood up in helpless rage

I have no voice, no freedom, no legs,

I have to scale my Reason and blink

at all the glitter of make belief!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New