Sunday 17 January 2021

DRAUPADI - III

Prafulla Kumar Mohanty's


DRAUPADI - III


Mother kissed me thrice

the queen held me to her bosom

Drupad was all smiles -

how lucky we are my queen

to have our daughter, our future

the balm for our wrinkles

come dearest you have filled

our hearts with pride and joy

live with us in free mind

brightening up all murk

with your heartening smile

be the lotus of our hearts.

 

Father showed me my quarters

the frown in his face was gone.

He left with Drishtaduymna

to the feasting arena

dancing girls stepped up their

rhythms to the beats of drums

fatalistic and primordial

my age fellows, tens of them -

seated me at the centre of the royal hall

dazzling with gems and the ruckus

of ceremonial band playing mad

made the night throb with energy.

 

My first morning in the palace

started early when Alpana the chief maid

woke me up playing the tambourine

greeted me - Good morning Princess

Your bath is ready, I will take you

to the pool strewn with Jasmine,

Champaks and  Sandal paste.

 

I bathed after taking a swim

Alpana readied me for the day.

While tying my long hair

into braids she said, Princess

you are so out of the world,

your beauty is so  subtle, awe inspiring,

your eyes sparkle like lakes on fire

your nose sharp and long

predicts unfolding of tomorrow

your lips cherry labials locking

the crystal pinfold of your teeth.

Two shiny orbs are your breasts

spheres of indomitable pride :

Hey friend ! Are you a poet?

She giggled, no Princess, a keen student

of the beauty of Poetry which you Are!

 

Your hair Princess is three hand measures

leave it open I will dry it with incense

after bath tomorrow - No, no

It's already heavy on my head

it will be a burden on my neck

you know my next programme here

learning horse taming and riding

then swordplay with my brother

don't untie, leave it like that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New