Sunday 15 November 2020

My Mother


We met in the time of Diwali-

the festival of lights,

my Mom always energetic

and full of life - but that day

the lights could not brighten her face

holding her volcano of hot lava

her moist eyes flashed a welcome

which was genuine, a smile despite

her silent grief and empty interiors,

a gift of my father’s parting

her lonely world crushed under

the weight of his love: she now lives

with memories of million spaces.

 

She is the support of our unbending strength

the beacon of hope in turbulence.

I looked back recounting my days

spent under her benign shadow and

care all women show but she did

what the angels seldom propose,

my yesterdays are my today’s strength.

She is the rock we rested upon

oblivious of the knives of future,

her thoughts guided to trust on.


With less of toys more of joys

life was away from stress

never can we get the days again

now life is give and take bargain.

 

Yes sadness  grief and pain

are her friends now,

she is in family yet lonely

today when lamps light  up faces

she sits by one lamp,

the light of memory  of long conjugal life

warming her cold zeal to live

and love her shaped dolls

to light all lamps to brighten her face.

 

Sabita Sahu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New