Sunday 15 December 2019

Buying A Gift

Prafulla Kumar Mohanty

What shall I buy for someone special to me, nay the only one for me whom the sun and moon are not worthy enough as gifts? I was familiar with the gift galleries in the Airports of both my place of departure and the city where I would land in a few minutes, and never liked ever the idea of something expected of a lazy choiceless man to pick up easefully. After I landed and got a prepaid taxi  I settled down to an hourplus ride through jammed roads and dusty air made dustier by eyeless men and women on all sides. After checking in my hotel arranged by my hosts I came out looking for a taxi again to go to the posh  Esplanade ( Chowrangee - Dharamtala) to buy something  special for my love. Gold I cannot give her diamond she does not like: And images of Hindu deities in gold or silver I don't like. So metals were out of my choice box. The other things like cloud, space and juicy spring and wintry warmth have already been given. She likes cricket but not crazy like me, she loves fun and gathering but that is not a gift item. She likes Biryani but I have already promised her to eat together at Nampalli, Hyderabad. O' What a mind boggling situation in a slow moving taxi ! Well a local cotton saree may be of interest to her, a good one smuggled from a neighbouring country with a porous border! But she prefers something less heavy, skin friendly and soft! Ok I'll go for one. I paid the taxi off near a big mall ( suggested by the taxi driver himself ) and walked into it somewhat dazzled by the lights and the fanciful decor. Finally I stood before a stall which I thought was my bountiful destination.
Do you have Tulip cotton? The middle aged man blinked and nodded his head. Do you have skiey silk? The man wanted to avoid me, perhaps and pointed at another stall. I followed his  direction and found the shop. I repeated the same questions and also added a new  one: Do you have Seasonless Sarees in cotton or wool  or silk? The young man said, you will find all these only in Amegha street in Gariahat. But don't you have something here? He brought out a few stocks and said these are Bengal  Sarees, Beneras and Odisha sarees in cotton and silk and these are all season sarees . None titillated my choice but to please him I bought ,what he called, a Jamdani saree : cotton  and cheap. I came back to the hotel as I was tired and hungry.

Next morning  I had my presentation at 10.am and it was over by noon. My hosts gave me a Toyota and said you can move around and go for shopping since your flight is at 7 PM. The driver will drop you at the Airport before 5.30 pm. I thanked them and went for my lunch and planned to go to the Amegha street. In the diner I asked the Manager about the exact location. He said something which I could not follow, but sat in the car and asked the driver - Amegha street.

The moment the car crossed the gate, the driver stopped  as a silent Protest March of the Communists was going on. None dared to move through them. The road was theirs; had to wait for 17 minutes and then taking a left turn  we moved.  The driver parked at a crossing and said Sir, I'll wait here, you come to this spot.  I walked into a big shop and told them to show me exotic sarees. Nothing pleased me. The irate shopkeeper said - You go to Dhakeswari, you will get what you are looking for. I followed the direction and walked and walked. The other pedestrians too said the same thing -  just ahead Sir, please find that red compound and enter. By the time I saw the red sandstone walls I was at the end of my patience. At last when I fronted the structure it was a temple. Someone looked at my suited frame and went on his way . I was not welcome nor  was I inclined to enter. But who is this Dhakeswari and why? Well, everything is divine in this  country . But what gift shall I buy for her here?

I removed my shoes and entered ; asked someone in saffron for the sindur. He gave  me in a bel leaf. I gave him some money and headed back. But after a few minutes I discovered that I was in a different street beyond my recognition. The shops were gone, the crowds were gone. only a few  shops , a diagnostic centre and very few vehicles , mostly bikes, on the road. I looked at the bel leaf, red and shining, the best gift for my love which finally I held  in my hand: but where am I? Am I in my country or what? I asked some persons to tell me from where I had come and how to go back? None could advise me . It was time to head for the Airport. But I did not note down the contact number of the driver. How to contact him? I had my return ticket in my  coat pocket and enough money. In desperation I telephoned my hosts to instruct the driver  to move  towards the Airport and wait for me there with my suitcase. I waved a willing taxi to take me to the Airport and entered the taxi. While trying to leave a sigh of relief I noticed my hands - the bel leaf was not there. My gift was lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New