Sunday 28 April 2019

An Evening Of Politics...

Prafulla Kumar Mohanty

One evening I was browsing a novel in my room when I heard a familiar voice asking my wife, 'Is the Saheb at home?' I came down recognizing the voice and the demeanour and paused to slow down as I saw four others with Gopal, my best friend and worst critic who was also an open minded extrovert serving as resident editor of a prominent national daily . After the general bonhomie, tea and  wife made pakodas, Gopal suddenly asked me: Why don't you join politics? I could sense alertness in the ears and eagerness in the eyes of the by now no more strangers four and tried to gauge the seriousness of the question. I smiled and said,' I don't mind joining politics but who will take me? 'The by now familiar strangers identified themselves and one of them, one  Radhakanta Mohapatra said, in a sober voice: 'There are people to take you into their party with open arms. You are a man with an immaculate reputation as knowledgeable, articulate and your ability to charm an audience with your oratorical powers are well known. If you simply say 'Yes', Mr -( he gave the name of a national leader) will speak to you over phone. I sensed the seriousness and even the purposefulness in the intonation and body language of Mr Mohapatra and  said, ' I am 45 now. I admit yes I have some sound reputation and above average qualities. But I have a family and except the job I hold I do not have any other resources... Another slightly elder to all of us in the strangers group spoke a dialogue chopper - you will get five times your salary plus car and house.


I felt like giving a loud guffaw but restrained myself. I said, gentlemen, politics is an art of nation building. Throughout civilization we have put codes against insecurity, indiscipline and distrust. He who lived in an area of his birth called it his own for fear of losing it to others who have strayed into his area. Suspicion and fear of other men was more than this distrust of animals. He had to fight for survival against hunger, sickness, and yes, death. Some godmen came up to comfort man and secure his life in this lifespan of his, in whichever part of the world he lived in. They comforted him saying, life is temporary there is permanent joy and peace after death in that 'Unreturned World.' they advised and propagated  love, devotion and surrender to the unseen forces. Then came the physically powerful and intellectually very clever people . They became chieftains, captains and formed teams of men to expand their territory and framed rules for men under their control to keep them restrained and loyal... Gopal this time gave  a real guffaw saying, O' the professor has started his lecture... The others too laughed. I felt embarrassed. Gopal said, ' why don't you say what these people have asked ? You should join politics.'


The senior man said, ' yes Sir, intellectuals like you must come to politics. You now see Sir, most politicians are using muscle and money power and exploit people. I stopped him and said, 'Intellectuals demand mostly two things: Freedom and space. They don't covet positions or money but they must have operational freedom of the mind.' He said, 'Yes Sir, you will definitely get that freedom but you have to work within the framework of our Ideology.'


That's very tempting but what is ideology of your party? He paused for three breaths and said: 'You know it Sir . We believe in justice for everyone, equality of opportunity and universal coexistence.' 'Why  do you have reservations then? I asked, ' By giving reservations and doles you are in a way killing the spirit of a man. He becomes a psychic cripple. That's why he forms a group and claims identity and as the economy grows he demands a larger share of that  economy without contributing anything. His  initiatives and innovative thinking get stilted. He prefers to remain as a pressure group. Is that not  injustice to the other low income groups who strive and struggle for their own place in the history?'

'You are right Sir but politics has its own limitations.
What limitations? Your limitation is the vision you  have  been perpetuating for your hold on the people. If Kashmir is on the boil for 70 years it is because we don't want to solve the problems. if you want me in politics first of all grow out of  your radical innocence. I am not a superman, no god, but I think man must be free to create his own opportunities. The political masters ought to create that atmosphere and run the state as referee,. Sorry I can't join because I am a misfit...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Forever New